Sunday, April 6, 2014

Encouragement is effective

Date: 3/29/14
Distance: 6.32mi (10k!)
Location: Richmond, VA
Catalyst: Ukrops Monument 10k

No headphones for me! The Ukrops 10k was my first official 10k race. The route was 3 miles up Monument Ave., turn around and come back. There were bands playing and DJs spinning every two blocks. At least a third of the houses on the avenue had people out front cheering us (there were at least 30,000 of us!) running.

It is much easier to run when people are cheering. Why? I can't encourage myself with nearly the same result as this throng of Richmondites produced in me. Listen to the little voices around me. If a bunch of "you can do it"'s help me run faster and better even while I think they are being unreasonable (I mean, they don't know me and they certainly don't know that I can "do it" and if I weren't there they would be cheering anyway, etc. etc. etc.) then imagine what the effect of all the people in my life are having on me even while I try to consider their opinions rationally and cautiously.

Also I should try to encourage more people.


No comments:

Post a Comment